Welcome to my new blog; where you'll be able to follow my journey being part of The Lightbox Gallery's, new children's book retrospective, Escape To Wonderland. 7 Aug-2 Jan '11. Please feel free to leave comments and ask questions. Prints of my work will be made available. And you can also book me for workshops and talks.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Play the Game with Me- 15 Artists in 15 Minutes

The Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen Artists who've influenced you and will ALWAYS STICK WITH YOU. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what artists my friends choose..."

‎1. Egon Schiele
2. Stasys Eidrigevicius
3. Eric Fortune
4. Heath Robinson
5. Peter Cross...
6. Rackham
7. Tenniel
8. Ronald Searle
9. Chris Riddell
10. kathe kollwitz
11. Maurice Sendak
12. Egon Schiele (again!) The man was a genius.
13. Dave McKean

Ooh, surprisingly, getting really stuck now...

14. Brian Froud
15. Wayne Anderson

The picture I've used is a piece by William Heath Robinson. An exhibition of his work will run concurrently alongside Escape To Wonderland at The Lightbox, from December. His work was obviously made for print, however I've seen it in the flesh before, and it really is an experience not to be missed. There's a subtlety to his work that comes to life and starts to walk off the page. I can't wait.

Besides Heath Robinson, there are 5 other artists from my list exhibited at Escape To Wonderland. I'll let you find out which ones they are- I'm hoping The Lightbox might work it's way through my other 9 artists over time!!!

5 comments:

  1. Cool stuff.
    Very interesting list, and a couple I hadn't come across before, which is nice.

    But I've done it too. I haven't got Facebook so I've done it on my blog here - http://jondavissketch.blogspot.com/2010/09/15-artists-in-15-minutes.html :)

    ps, I reckon Maurice Sendak, Tenniel, Ronald Searle, Rackham, and Chris Riddell might be the other five in the exhibition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. genius game Cass...HAD to play (s'on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, the other 5 in the exhibition errrm:
    Chris Riddell, Maurice Sendak, Rackham (pop star status, one name :). Now I'm guessing...was it Kathe Kollwitz I remembered...? That's 4...OK y'got me :)

    more games to play Cass !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. Now you've got me thinking.... Jon, I think your list's correct, apart from Ronald Searle. It's Wayne Anderson I had as my fifth, although now I'm wondering if Ronald Searle's there as well! Will have to go check.

    Will check your list's too. Hoping to be introduced to some new artists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great game Cassia, I purposefully didn't read your list so as to not colour my choices, but I cant believe that I missed out Sendak and Rackham. My list is on my blog, feel free pop over and have a ganders.

    ReplyDelete